vendredi 3 novembre 2017

KICKSTARTER PROJECT UPDATE #24

Home Stretch

5 mai 2014

A full month left to go and things are heating up in class to get ready for the big finish as we are preparing for a week of recording and a concert.

The students are taking easily to rhythm notation but as to reading notes, that is another story and I need them to demonstrate some ability in that regard. It would be easy to teach the music orally to get results quickly—and there will be some of that happening but I always make them read the new music, a slow and difficult process. However, several of them are getting better and it stimulates healthy competition which helps pull in others who don't want to be left behind. There is hope, progress and confidence. The technical aspects of flute playing also require a lot of time and attention but the kids have been dedicated, they love the instrument and they are eager to play. Almost universally, they have achieved a good level of proficiency where they can play the full range with a good tone; and many a lovely tone. They are eager to learn new music but not so much scales, although I strive to show them how valuable they are, especially for improvisation.

This has been the most challenging professional experience of my life but so very rewarding. This may sound trite but the love and trust that I receive from the kids plus the respect from the community are the most valuable gifts.

In Guinea, everybody knows the sound of the tambin and they love it, as opposed to the US, Canada, and just about anywhere else for that matter, where I receive puzzled looks when I play. Here, they really really really appreciate it, the kids, the adults, the cops… I just need to walk around with my flute and people leave me alone. Well they leave me alone anyway but Guineans have somewhat of a mystical respect towards artists. So when they see some white dude dressed as an African walking around Conakry by himself with a flute strapped on they tend to be cautious and respectful. If I need to get out of trouble, I take out my flute and play.

In any case, in a few short weeks I will be on a plane back home with a treasure trove full of love, memories, photos, films, flutes and music and I am confidant that, if everything continues as it has, you will be happy with the results, my dear supporters. I thank you everyday in my heart.

Allah barika, ondjaarama, inoali 
See you soon. 
Sylvain



Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire

Mai 2017 Travel Report

Things are looking up May 31, 2017 Dear Friends, Last February, I visited our dear Ecole Fula Flute / Centre Tyabala in Conakry, Guine...